Would you like to work in a multidisciplinary laboratory as a Biomedical Scientist in a unique and vibrant community in a stunning natural environment? If so, come and join our friendly team of experienced health service professionals in the beautiful Falkland Islands.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the Falkland Islands Government’s medical pathology and food/water testing facility. The department comprises Biochemistry, Haematology, Transfusion science, Microbiology and a food/water testing laboratory.
The successful candidate will play a key role in the provision of an effective and efficient medical pathology service, alongside an expanding food, water & environmental testing laboratory service for a wide range of individuals and organisations within the Falkland Islands.
The role will involve the daily maintenance and QC of laboratory’s analysers, investigating and reporting on blood and serum samples in the laboratory’s multi-disciplinary blood sciences lab including daily biochemistry, haematology and transfusion practice. The lab complies fully with UK NEQAS EQA schemes for all investigations performed in-house and the participant will be expected to process these samples in addition to patient samples as well as participating in the laboratory’s in-house quality assurance and quality control activities and contribute to staff training in blood sciences. The post holder will be expected to join our multi-disciplinary ‘on-call’ rota and which includes weekend cover, after in-house training has been completed.
We are looking for people with:
- A BSc in Biomedical Sciences or related subject
- Health Care Professions Council (UK) registration
- An Institute of Biomedical Science Specialist Diploma in a Haematology and Blood Transfusion (or equivalent)
- At least 3 years’ experience working in a clinical laboratory
- Familiarity with laboratory based quality management systems
- Experience of working with LIMS systems within a laboratory framework
- 1 Year Fixed Term Contract
- Starting Salary: Up to 38k per annum, depending upon qualifications and experience.
- 25% Gratuity paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 30 Days Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totaling 41 days leave in total)
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights package for you and your recognised dependents, including mid-term return flight home.
- Housing for rent at a subsidised rate and a starter pack to help you get settled in.
How to Apply
For more information on the post and how apply online to join our team in a unique and breath-taking location, with penguins, dolphins and the wilderness just next door to your office, please visit our recruitment website: www.jobs.gov.fk.
Applications close at 23.00 UK time on 18 August 2019.
Applicants seeking secondment or interchange opportunities are welcome to apply.