Looking for a new adventure, professionally and personally? Could you lead and develop a new strategic procurement function for a thriving island community? Are you a Chartered Member of the Institute of Procurement and Supply, with experience across all areas of supply chain and contract management? If so, come and use your skills and knowledge to support our ambitious plans of capital investment and infrastructure development here in the Falkland Islands.
A new senior role, you will lead and develop the procurement function within Falkland Islands Government (FIG), building in-house capability and improving FIG’s procurement processes and systems to ensure the effective governance of spend and management of contracts.
The function delivers a critical commercial and operational service, supporting the sourcing of day-to-day goods and services worth around £25 million per year, as well as supporting an ambitious capital projects plan in excess of £110m over the next five years.
We are looking for a highly-experienced procurement specialist, with Chartered Membership of the Institute of Procurement and Supply, who is able to analyse the current status of procurement within the organisationand build a new strategic function, which will identify and implement improvements, set direction and build capability, in order to embed good governance and processes across the full procurement cycle. The department will provide a central source of expert guidance and procurement advice for devolved procurement activity throughout the organisation.
You will be comfortable with ambiguity, able to take a long-term strategic approach and set clear direction for others. You will need strong negotiation and communication skills, and be able to provide critical advice to senior leaders.
You will also need to take an active approach to market-building, recognising the challenges of operating in a remote location, where there is a need to promote strong long-term local supplier participation and partnerships, as well as influencing the behaviour of international supply markets, especially vendors in the UK.
- At least ten years relevant experience in a mid-sized public sector or not-for-profit organisation or in a private sector company, with significant experience serving public sector clients.
- Degree in a relevant subject, such as Business, Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Economics, Logistics or another related field (or relevant experience).
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) or equivalent.
- Proven experience of senior leadership within a procurement function, implementing and sustaining effective change and building capability within a team.
- Strong influencing and communication skills, able to build lasting partnerships and communicate with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Initial 2 Years Fixed Term Contract, with potential for extension by mutual agreement.
- Salary Range £50-75k, starting salaries will be dependent upon experience.
- 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 30 Days Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave).
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and your dependents, including mid-term return flight home.
- Government Housing for rent at a subsidised rate and a starter pack to help you settle in.
How to Apply
You can find out more about working here in the Falkland Islands and complete our online application form at www.jobs.gov.fk.
Applications will be open until 20.00 UK Time on 7 October 2019.
If you have any questions about this vacancy and how to apply, you can contact our HR team on email@example.com
The Working Environment
Development & Commercial Services
The Development & Commercial Services directorate is responsible for the development of ‘Place’ and for a wide range of essential services across the Falkland Islands, ensuring that the activities of Planning, Development, Regeneration, Leisure Services, Corporate Programmes and Procurement operate in a co-ordinated manner to efficiently and effectively enable the achievement of the Government’s priorities and successful delivery of the National Infrastructure Plan. It also has responsibility for delivery of some of FIG’s major infrastructure projects, for commercial development, for the Government Air Service (FIGAS), Coastal and Shipping Service and certain outsourced services of critical national importance.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.