Are you a qualified Physical Education teacher looking for a new challenge? The Falkland Islands offers teachers a unique opportunity to live and work overseas in a beautiful and vibrant island community, teaching within an English school system.
Our well established Secondary School is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic, creative and experienced PE Teacher to start in January 2020. The successful candidate will join a dedicated and dynamic team. Applicants for the posts will have up-to-date knowledge and experience of PE within Key Stage 3 and 4. The successful candidate appointed to the PE teaching position will work in our 160 student school, situated in the capital Stanley and will benefit from a well-resourced PE facility that includes a 25M swimming pool, sports hall, cardio and weights rooms and spacious outdoor playing fields.
We are seeking to recruit a Physical Education teacher who:
- is focused on helping student’s achieve high levels of progress in a positive and effective learning environment
- is a graduate secondary PE teacher with Qualified Teacher Status (recognisable in UK) who has completed the statutory induction year as an NQT and ideally has 2 or more years post NQT experience.
- has experience in teaching PE at KS3 and 4 at secondary level and is able to teach deliver both core and GCSE PE to mixed gender and ability classes.
- can demonstrate recent experience of teaching PE within the English National Curriculum and an up to date knowledge of developments within the subject.
- is committed to differentiation and SEN inclusive practice
- can effectively monitor, assess, record and report on student progress
- can work within and contribute to a coaching and mentoring environment
- has good interpersonal skills and works well in teams
- possesses secure IT skills
- is able to contribute to the development of PSHE and pastoral life.
- will organise and oversee a range of extracurricular clubs and activities
- A stimulating and supportive working environment with a small but dedicated team
- Basic starting salary up to £39,903 per annum
- Eligibility for a 25% gratuity payable upon satisfactory completion of the contract
- Favourable income tax rates
- Airfares for the post holder and recognised dependants at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract
- A relocation grant
- Accommodation to rent
- Free education locally for dependent children to GCSE level
- A unique and beautiful environment to live and work
How to Apply
Interested teachers can download the job description and further information from our online vacancy page.
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page, by clicking on 'Apply Now' and completing the form. Alternatively, download an offline form from the same page and email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
Applications will be open until 20.00 UK Time on Friday 11 October 2019.
Interviews will be held in the week 14 October 2019 either by Skype or telephone.
If you have any further questions about this vacancy and how to apply, you can contact our HR team on email@example.com
The Working Environment
Falkland Islands Community School
Falkland Islands Community School provides fully inclusive secondary education for children aged 11-16, following the English National Curriculum up to Key Stage 4. The school's aim is to develop well-balanced young adults, ready if they chose to go out into the wider world, to lead happy and fulfilling lives and to contribute, positively and generously.
Learn more at our School Website: https://falklandics.schoolzineplus.com
The Education Directorate is responsible for the provision of education throughout the islands. Great value is placed on education by Government, parents, students and the community as a whole. Primary and secondary education follows the English National Curriculum, from Early Years Foundation Stage to the end of Key Stage 4 (including SATs and GCSEs). Post-16 provision includes sponsorship of academic or vocational studies overseas (usually in the UK) or students may choose to further their skills through vocational learning provided locally by the Falkland Islands Training Centre.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.