Would you like to work in a unique and vibrant community in a stunning natural environment? If so, come and join our friendly team of experienced health service professionals in the beautiful Falkland Islands.
The Falkland Islands are a unique and dramatically beautiful environment set in the South Atlantic Ocean. The Falkland Islands Government is offering an exciting opportunity for a Pharmacy Technician who would like to live in and contribute to this friendly community, providing care in the health service setting of the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital. Our hospital provides all outpatient and community services to the local population and also has 29 beds, providing in-patient care to all patients needing admission, whatever their age or condition.
We are the only Pharmacy in the islands, providing services to patients located over 100 miles away! This is an exciting opportunity to experience the challenge of getting used to a different way of working in an extraordinary setting.
The successful applicant should:
- Be in possession of an NVQ Level 3 in Pharmacy Services or equivalent qualification.
- Be registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC).
- Have at least 3 year’s post-registration experience working in a relevant setting.
- Be able to work autonomously, and take independent decisions when needed.
- Have experience of running or providing a smoking cessation service.
- Be able to understand the benefits and challenges of living and working remotely in a small, close-knit community.
- Be flexible and able to adapt to different ways of working.
- Initial 1-2 Years Fixed Term Contract, with potential for extension by mutual agreement.
- Salary Range £25K - £31K, starting salaries will be dependent upon qualifications and experience.
- Eligibility for a 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 30 Days Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave).
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and your dependents, including mid-term return flight home.
- Government Housing for rent at a subsidised rate and a starter pack to help you settle in.
How to Apply
For more information and to apply online to join our team in a unique and breath-taking location, with penguins, dolphins and the wilderness just next door to your office, please visit our new recruitment website: www.jobs.gov.fk.
Applications close at 12 noon UK time on 2 January 2020.
For information on the vacancy please contact John Woollacott via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about working for the Falkland Islands Government or would like further information about applying, you can find contact details at the above link.
The Working Environment
Health & Social Services
Based out of King Edward VII Memorial Hospital in Stanley, the Health and Social Services directorate provides primary, community and secondary healthcare in the Falkland Islands, as well as social services and welfare provision for those most in need.
Working hours in the pharmacy are 08:30-12:30 and 13:30-17:00 Monday to Friday.
The pharmacy team is comprised of a pharmacist, two pharmacy technicians and a pharmacy assistant.
We are the only source of prescription-only [POM] and pharmacy-only [P] medicines for the local community on the islands.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.