Falkland Islands Government - Education Department
Principal of Secondary School
A unique opportunity to live and work overseas, leading a secondary school in an English school system.
Position: Principal of Secondary School
Location: Falkland Islands Community School (11-16 age range), Falkland Islands
Responsible to: Executive Headteacher
Contract type: Permanent, full Time
Contract term: Up to 4 years
Closing Date: Applications by Thursday 6th August 2020;
Commencement: January 2021
Salary: Competitive - FIG Grade A ranges from £50-69K plus 25% gratuity plus airfares.
Our small and well-established Secondary School is looking for an inspirational and experienced Principal to join our team in January 2021. The successful applicant will join a well-resourced, financially secure school with a supportive staff team, small class sizes and students who are keen to learn. You will work closely with the Executive Headteacher and Principal of Primary to ensure all learners have opportunities to reach their full potential.
The Falkland Islands Community school delivers a secondary level education for the Island, providing for 175 students aged from 11 to 16. The improvement in standards at the school has been dramatic over the last 18 months, starting with the alignment of policies between primary and secondary provision, followed up with intelligent accountability measures. A strong focus on developing staff, with much CPD focused on teaching and learning, has supported the raising of staff and student aspirations. Clear rationales for the curriculum; assessment and reporting were developed and the KS3 curriculum thoroughly reviewed. The school has achieved a positive Progress 8 score for the last three years.
We are looking for a school leader who will build on the recent, excellent progress and ensure it is embedded into the core of our school to secure a sustainable future and good outcomes for all. The capacity to innovate and shape pathways for our all-ability intake is essential. The successful candidate will inspire the Senior Leadership Team, work closely with the Primary School and engage the entire community in the pursuit of continued excellence.
We are looking for a Principal who:
- is an inspirational and experienced school leader with a track record of successful school leadership
- has extensive experience in the UK secondary sector
- is committed to effective partnership working
- has drive and passion for teaching and learning
- is approachable, consistent and inspires trust
- is visible to the school community; has effective communications skills to excellent relationships with students, staff, parents and community stakeholders
- is able to lead and efficiently manage staff to ensure that the quality of education; behaviour and attitudes; personal development; leadership and management at the Falkland Islands’ Community School continues to improve.
We will provide:
- an environment for an effective leader to flourish
- financially secure school
- collaborative executive leadership team
- competitive salary (Grade A – ranges from £50K to £69K) plus 25% gratuity at the successful completion of contract
- favourable income tax rates
- a unique and beautiful environment to live and work
- airfares for the post holder and dependants at the beginning and end of contract, as well as airfares for return flights after every full year of the contract
- a relocation grant
- accommodation to rent
- free education locally for dependent children to GCSE level and possible allowance for overseas studies thereafter
- fixed term contract of up to 4 years
Applicants can download the job description and further information from this page.
Interviews and selection activities will be held between Friday 14 and Friday 28 August 2020, interviews via telephone/Skype. More details about selection activities will be provided to shortlisted applicants.
School Website: https://www.secondary.ac.fk/
For more information please contact Kim Greenland, Human Resources Department, Cable Cottage, Stanley, Falkland Islands, FIQQ 1ZZ.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: 00 500 27420
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk, by clicking on 'Apply Now' and completing the form. Alternatively, download an offline form from the same page and email to email@example.com before the closing date.
Applications close Thursday 13th August 2020 @ 2030 (GMT).